Thursday saw stocks open higher following a rally in Apple Stock. That combined with news of potential talks with China on trade, plus consumer prices showing little to no inflation concerns, were enough to keep stocks higher on Thursday for the best day of the week for gains in the indexes.
Stock Market Outlook Chart Comments At The Close on Thu Sep 13 2018
The S&P rose on Thursday and never moved back to the 21 day moving average.
The closing candlestick on Thursday was bullish for Friday.
All the other major moving averages are still climbing which is bullish and the 50 day is rising away from the Lower Bollinger Band which is bullish.
Stock Market Outlook: Technical Indicators Review:
Momentum: Momentum is negative but is unchanged from Tuesday’s close.
- Settings: For momentum I use a 10 period when studying market direction.
MACD Histogram: MACD (Moving Averages Convergence / Divergence) issued a down signal on Thu Sep 6 2018. The down signal was weaker on Thursday.
- Settings: For MACD Histogram, I am using the Fast Points set at 13, Slow Points at 26 and Smoothing at 9.
Ultimate Oscillator: The Ultimate Oscillator signal is positive and rising.
- Settings: The Ultimate Oscillator settings are: Period 1 is 5, Period 2 is 10, Period 3 is 15, Factor 1 is 4, Factor 2 is 2 and Factor 3 is 1. These are not the default settings but are the settings I use with the S&P 500 chart set for 1 to 3 months.
Slow Stochastic: The Slow Stochastic has an up signal in place for a second day.
- Settings: For the Slow Stochastic I use the K period of 14 and D period of 3. The Slow Stochastic tries to predict the market direction further out than just one day.
Relative Strength Index: The RSI signal is rising.
- Settings: The relative strength index is set for a period of 5 which gives it 5 days of market movement to monitor. It is often the first indicator to show an overbought or oversold signal.
Rate of Change: The rate of change signal is unchanged.
- Settings: Rate Of Change is set for a 21 period. This indicator looks back 21 days and compares price action from the past to the present. With the Rate Of Change, prices are rising when signals are positive. Conversely, prices are falling when signals are negative. As an advance rises the Rate Of Change signal should also rise higher, otherwise the rally is suspect. A decline should see the Rate Of Change fall into negative signals. The more negative the signals the stronger the decline.
Support Levels To Be Aware Of:
2830 is light support
2795 is light support
2745 to 2750 is light support
2725 is light support.
2700 is support.
2675 is light support.
2650 is light support
2620 is light support
2600 is strong support.
There is good support at the 2550 level from where the market bounced back from the recent correction low on Feb 9.
The S&P has light support at 2480. It also has light support at 2450 and good support at 2425. Below that there is some support at 2400, 2380, 2350. 2300 has the most support at present but would represent a full correction as a drop to this level would be 20% and just 5% away from a potential bear market signal.
Stock Market Outlook for Tomorrow – Fri Sep 14 2018
For Fri Sep 14 2018, stocks are set to continue the advance from Thursday.
The close will see the S&P and NASDAQ higher on Friday.
Stock Market Outlook Archives