Tuesday saw the bounce in the markets which I had discussed on Monday after the market closed. Investors decided on Tuesday that perhaps fear of an inverted yield curve may not be warranted and were back buying stocks rather than selling them.
Stock Market Outlook Chart Comments At The Close on Tue Mar 26 2019
On Thursday last week, the 100 day moved above the 200 day which was the final signal to the upside. With that event, the market now has the 50, 100 and 200 day moving averages aligned to be able to push higher. This also means that the up signals and down signals are removed from the chart.
The index is continuing to stay above the 2800 level on Tuesday but in general the index is not actually climbing but seems stuck.
The closing candlestick was bearish on Tuesday. The Bollinger Bands Squeeze continues and the index is still above the 21 day moving average.
Stock Market Outlook: Technical Indicators Review:
Momentum: Momentum is positive and rising.
- Settings: For momentum I use a 10 period when studying market direction.
MACD Histogram: MACD (Moving Averages Convergence / Divergence) issued a down signal on Friday March 22 2019. The down signal gained more strength today.
- Settings: For MACD Histogram, I am using the Fast Points set at 13, Slow Points at 26 and Smoothing at 9.
Ultimate Oscillator: The Ultimate Oscillator signal is negative and trying to rise.
- Settings: The Ultimate Oscillator settings are: Period 1 is 5, Period 2 is 10, Period 3 is 15, Factor 1 is 4, Factor 2 is 2 and Factor 3 is 1. These are not the default settings but are the settings I use with the S&P 500 chart set for 1 to 3 months.
Slow Stochastic: The Slow Stochastic has a down signal in place for Wednesday but is no longer overbought.
- Settings: For the Slow Stochastic I use the K period of 14 and D period of 3. The Slow Stochastic tries to predict the market direction further out than just one day.
Relative Strength Index: The RSI signal is rising.
- Settings: The relative strength index is set for a period of 5 which gives it 5 days of market movement to monitor. It is often the first indicator to show an overbought or oversold signal.
Rate of Change: The rate of change signal is rising slightly which is usually a signal that stock prices are not expected to climb on Wednesday.
- Settings: Rate Of Change is set for a 21 period. This indicator looks back 21 days and compares price action from the past to the present. With the Rate Of Change, prices are rising when signals are positive. Conversely, prices are falling when signals are negative. As an advance rises the Rate Of Change signal should also rise higher, otherwise the rally is suspect. A decline should see the Rate Of Change fall into negative signals. The more negative the signals the stronger the decline.
Support Resistance Levels To Be Aware Of:
2900 is strong resistance
2860 is resistance
2830 is light support
2800 is strong support
2795 is light support
2745 to 2750 is light support
2725 is light support
2700 is light support
2675 is light support
2650 is support
2625 is light support
2600 is support.
There was good support at the 2550 level which is back to being support.
The 2500 level is support.
The S&P has light support at 2480 and better support at 2450.
There is good support at 2425.
Below that there is some support at 2400, 2380, 2350.
2300 has the most support at present but would represent a full correction of 641 points as a drop to this level would be 21% and just 5% away from a full bear market signal ending the bull market from 2009.
Stock Market Outlook for Tomorrow – Wed Mar 27 2019
Following the rally today, the technical indicators have not shown any change in strength to the upside.
The Bias for Wednesday has shifted for a slightly lower day.
Stock Market Outlook Archives